Friday, July 1, 2011

Flying for Dollars & No Time for the Budget

I just realized, there's only a one letter difference between:

Flying and Lying

While the President flew off to Philadelphia to attend two fundraisers yesterday, the First Lady boarded the second plane and campaigned in Boston, attending a private fundraising luncheon for the Democratic National Committee. After, she flew to Vermont to attend two more fundraisers. Needing an official excuse to write off the DNC and reelection campaign appearances, she stopped at a National Guard Army Aviation Support Facility in Burlington to give a speech. It's interesting to read her remarks at two of the stops, because both of them are nearly identical in the beginning. Sure, the names had to be changed, and the stories modified to relate to the audience, but these should have been easy for her speech writers to construct.

At the DNC, she begins:

MRS. OBAMA: Thank you. (Applause.) Oh, my goodness. (Applause.) Good job. Thank you so much. (Applause.) Oh, my goodness! (Applause.) Got to come to Vermont more often! (Applause.) Yes! (Applause.) Oh, my goodness, thank you so much. (Applause.) ....


I want to start by thanking Marcelle for that very kind introduction and for all her hard work on behalf of our Guard and Reserve families. But I also want to personally thank her for being my big sister in the U.S. Senate. She told you that we met then, but the truth is, is that she’s my big sister. She was assigned to me to look after me as a new spouse, and she did that well then and she continues to do that. She is a truly wonderful woman who I consider a dear friend, and she has always had my back. So we have to give Marcelle Leahy a big round of applause. (Applause.)


And I also want to acknowledge someone who couldn’t be here today but who would have been here today. She’s been a phenomenal partner to me every day on this issue. She’s a military mom herself, a tireless champion for military families, and also my friend, Dr. Jill Biden. (Applause.) ...

Source: Remarks by the First Lady at DNC event in Boston, Massachusetts

 

At the Armory, she begins:

MRS. OBAMA: I won’t be using the box. (Laughter.) Oh, my goodness, thank you so much. Oh, okay, let’s just go home now. (Laughter.)




I can’t tell you what a pleasure it is to be here with all of you today. And I want to thank Elaine for that very kind introduction, and to Elaine and Jerry and their entire family for hosting this event here in their beautiful home. I can’t tell you how much this means to us to have your support. You are true public servants, as well. You live it out every day. You live it out throughout the generations. And it is that foundation that allows Barack and I to do the work that we do. So we are so truly, truly grateful to you for your work and your dedication, your support. So thank you again. (Applause.)


I also want to thank your fabulous governor, who is one of my favorite people in the whole wide world. Yeah, yeah, he is. (Applause.) Governor Patrick. And the only other person I like more than you is Diane. (Laughter.) It’s okay. I know how that goes. (Laughter and applause.)  ...

Source: Remarks by the First Lady at Vermont National Guard Joining Forces Rally


Now that the Air Force One and Two planes are back in Washington, Vice President O'Biden will be using one of them to fly out to Las Vegas and deliver remarks at a Teamster Convention this afternoon.

Since the weather should be good this weekend, the First Family will be entertaining at Camp David. It is a long weekend, so we expect the President to get in 3 rounds of golf in between planning next weeks campaign fundraising trips and the associated official excuses for we tax-payers of these flying trips.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...